Conditions of Entry
BERNINA NORTHLAND FASHION AWARDS 2023
Version 2: 14 August 2023
- This competition is only open to amateur and semi-professional sewists (income less than $10,000 p/a from sewing) If sewing is your main source of income, you are ineligible to enter.
- This event will be filmed and/or photographed. By entering you/your model give consent for these images to be televised and/or used for publicity relating to future Bernina Northland Fashion Awards events.
- Competitors under the age of 13 years must be supervised by an adult backstage.
- If you win 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in any category, the sponsors of that category have the right to use and/or display your garment until the end of 1 year, at which point you will be contacted to retrieve the garment. Non-retrieval after 3 months of being notified will result in the garment being disposed of by the sponsor.
- A non-refundable entry fee of $25 per entry for school and tertiary entrants and $40 per entry for open entrants is payable within 7 days of the entry being lodged to secure your place in the competition. You will receive a confirmation email after the completed entry has been received with payment options and other important information.
- All entry forms and fees must be received by Friday 1st September 2023 – unless all spots have been allocated prior.
- Prizes are subject to change depending on the number of entries received.
- Garments that have been entered into other competitions or previous Bernina Northland Fashion Awards are ineligible for entry.
- You cannot enter the same garment into more than one category.
- If you have more than one garment you are required to have a different model for each garment.
- You must provide your own model/models.
- Organisers reserve the right to re-categorise a garment or to omit it from the event.
- Organisers reserve the right to combine categories or to omit categories if there are 3 or fewer entries into any category.
- Organisers reserve the right to split categories if entry numbers within a category are 15 or greater.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- You and your model are expected to take part in two full-dress rehearsals prior to the event. Choreography Part 2 and dress rehearsal on Thursday 12th October & Choreography Part 3 and Family Show on Friday 13th October 2023 at Forum North, Whangārei, from 4pm (All details and timing TBC).
- There will be further opportunity to practice your choreography during the day of Friday 13th October with small group sessions available to be booked with the Creative Director. More details on how to book these will be made available at Choreography Part 2. The Friday DAY small group sessions are not compulsory, and will not effect your marks if you do not attend.
- The main event day is Saturday 14th October 2023 at Forum North, Whangārei, with 2 sessions being held (2pm & 7pm show times). You and your model are required to sign in together between 10am and 11 am. You will be expected to be available to organisers after signing in until the end of the evening event. Groups / schools are expected to sign in together as one party.
- Correct contact details are essential, including email and cell phone, so organisers can contact you with further details including the presentation to judges (pre-judging) schedule, Choreography Part 2 and dress rehearsal and Choreography Part 3 and Family Show details, and the final show running order. If your contact details change, please email email@example.com with an update.
- Please note that failure to attend choreography sessions 1, 2 & 3 and presentation to judges (pre-judging), without valid reasoning at the judges’ discretion, will result in a loss of participation points and will deem you ineligible for consideration for both the category winner and overall winner’s prizes. Participation is an important part of this event, failure to do so, will impact your overall score.
Choreography Part 1 and Presentation to Judges (Pre-judging)
- Choreography Part 1 and Presentation to Judges will be held on Saturday/Sunday 16th & 17th September 2023. The venue for Presentation to Judges (prejudging) is WADPA – Whangarei Academy of Dance & Performing Arts (29 Commerce Street, Whangārei)
- A schedule of times for Choreography Part 1 and Presentation to Judges (prejudging) will be sent out approximately 1 week prior, once all entries have been collated. This is communicated via the email address provided on the entry form. Please keep the weekend free as attendance is compulsory – if you are unable to attend (at all or in the timeslot given) you must advise via email as soon as possible: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ALL entries are required to be modelled at the presentation to judges (pre-judging).
- ALL designers and models are required to be available for a 30 min category specific choreography session with the Creative Director prior to their presentation to the judges.
- ALL entries must be fully finished and modelled as they will be shown on the catwalk during the event including accessories, hair and makeup.
- Professional, still photography will be taken at pre-judging to assist the judges and for inclusion in the awards booklet.
- Judging criteria for each category is published with the category description on the website. Judges are also looking for garments that are expertly constructed and show you have an eye for great design. Judges may offer feedback at the time of pre-judging.
- You may need to leave your garment overnight on presentation to judges (pre-judging) weekend to allow judges the opportunity to inspect it off the model. After inspection, all garments need to be taken home.
Photography and other Recordings
- Personal photography is not permitted at the event.
- Professional photography is taken while garments are on the catwalk and are then available for purchase from the photographer after the event.
- Photos taken at pre-judging are for judging and marketing purposes only and are not for sale later.
- The event may be filmed, which will then be available for purchase and viewing after the event.